The 2020 Gold Nugget Triathlon Postponed to May 16, 2021
There is no easy way to say this, so let’s just do it. The 2020 Gold Nugget Triathlon has been postponed to May 16, 2021.
It was not an easy decision. A lot of meetings, discussions, fact finding, and emotions led us to this conclusion. This event is like no other. It is built on a foundation of comradery, friendship, support, hugs, first times and so much more. There are simply too many factors and unknowns for us to say we can, in good faith, hold this event in August or September as we were hoping.
Although virtual events are becoming the norm, they are filling every day, weekend, and weeks of our summer. While they can fill the days and time, we do not feel a virtual event can adequately fill the spirit of friendship and community our group is known for; thus, we have chosen not to go virtual like other events have.
Based on our final decision to postpone to 2021 we want to make this as easy as possible for everyone. Moving forward you will have two options in regard to your registration:
- DEFER – That’s right – no stress for 2021! Opt in to have your registration deferred to May 16, 2021 and keep (or start) training now for your guaranteed (already-paid-for) spot. It can’t get much sweeter than that! If you elect to defer, we will reach out to you again in December to confirm you are truly going to use your registration spot. Your registration spot will not be transferrable or refundable at that time; however, if you elect to not use it after all, we will add it to the 2021 registrations available for those wishing to register for the 2021 event.
- REFUND – We understand some of you were coming from out-of-state, are in the process of moving or just can’t think that far into the future right now. We get it! We will refund your paid registration fee. Your registration fee is the basic fee you paid (Adults $55 or $60 and Youth $30). We are unable to refund any administrative or credit card fees. Your registration fee amount paid will be refunded back to the original form of payment. We will be processing refunds in batches on May 22 and June 1, 2020.
All registered participants will receive an email on May 14 with instructions and a link to submit your choice from the above options. Watch for that email in your inbox. The options above must be submitted electronically (via the link) between May 14th and May 31st to receive a deferment or a refund. Please DO NOT send your choice in an email to the race directors. There will be no deferments or refunds after May 31, 2020.
OTHER FEES PAID
During the initial registration process, you may have paid for extra items. Please see the refund process for those items below:
- USAT License Fees – USAT license fees paid at the time of registration will be processed/refunded through USAT. If you elect to defer, we will have USAT simply move your license fee to the 2021 event. A list of all current registered racers who elected to have their GNT registration refunded will be sent to USAT and you will be given the choices below. The choices below are what will be offered from USAT*:
- Athletes can transfer one-day license to any future race.
- Athletes can opt to not transfer their one-day license to a future race and receive a $15.00 gift card for ROKA gear.
- Athletes can upgrade their one-day license purchase to an annual membership for only $25.00.*Please note: if you are deferring to the 2021 GNT your one-day license must transfer to that event. You will not be able to refund it and pay for it later.
- Lane Bids – If you defer to 2021 your lane bid will go with you. Registrants who purchased lane bids will be refunded the full amount minus administrative fees if you requested a full refund of your registration fees.
- Charity Donations – Thank you! Your charity donations will go a long way and will be presented to STAR next month.
- 2020 Commemorative Mug – Registrants who purchased the 2020 Commemorative Mug will be refunded the full amount minus administrative fees. This refund will show as a separate credit on your original form of payment.
- All credit card processing/administration fees are non-refundable.
WAITLIST – There are many people currently on the waitlist. We know you worked hard and were sincerely hoping to make it into this year’s GNT. While we are no longer accepting individuals for the waitlist, we will continue to clear those currently on the list if possible. On June 8, 2020 we will know how many spots are still available and we will offer the chance to register for the 2021 event to those currently on the waitlist. If your name is selected from the waitlist you will receive an email on June 8 with a link to register. Registrations will need to be completed by June 14, 2020 and will be non-refundable and non-transferrable. Any individual that clears from the waitlist and registered in the time allotment above will be registering for the May 16, 2021 event.
Thank you for being a part of the GNT community, we will miss all of you in person this year but your dedication, enthusiasm and GNT spirit will carry us through to 2021.
In the Spirit of the GNT,
Gold Nugget Triathlon Board of Directors and Race Directors
Prior 2020 Race Annoucements